Deep Work – Book Review
Deep Work-One of the most valuable skills in our economy is becoming increasingly rare. If you master this skill, you’ll achieve extraordinary results.
Deep work is the ability to focus without distraction on a cognitively demanding task. It’s a skill that allows you to quickly master complicated information and produce better results in less time. Deep work will make you better at what you do and provide the sense of true fulfillment that comes from craftsmanship. In short, deep work is like a super power in our increasingly competitive twenty-first century economy. And yet, most people have lost the ability to go deep-spending their days instead in a frantic blur of e-mail and social media, not even realizing there’s a better way.
In DEEP WORK, author and professor Cal Newport flips the narrative on impact in a connected age. Instead of arguing distraction is bad, he instead celebrates the power of its opposite. Dividing this book into two parts, he first makes the case that in almost any profession, cultivating a deep work ethic will produce massive benefits. He then presents a rigorous training regimen, presented as a series of four “rules,” for transforming your mind and habits to support this skill.
woody allen did so much more work without pc he used typewriter.SO This is what he bought to the table, in these many yearsWoody Allen – Among his many competitive awards, he has won four Academy Awards, ten BAFTA awards, and two Golden Globe Awards. Allen has won three Oscars for Best Original Screenplay for Annie Hall (1977), Hannah and Her Sisters (1986), and Midnight in Paris (2011), and one for Best Director for Annie Hall.So Deep Work, definitely paid off to woody allenlets just ignore his post controversies (not defending him)
J. K. Rowling
The Creator Of harry potter – she haven’t been using social media came to twitter in 2009 & not active since then This Was Her Twitter Bio sounded like – I Wont Be Active Here. But off late she is been seen using, but that is just to market her films and books
Mail is still ok but instant message like whatssap and socaial media is distracting. never use this things at work, thiswould drain your energy to an extent, so much that you wont be able to workremember deep work is the only goal
So Here is the Reward You seek for after taking “Deep Work Week”Take a full day off or May be Two and compleatly forget about your work.never use phone and check mail – use most of your time and use effectivelydeep focus on work, you will reduce the tension and will be a lot progressive career.concentration is key focus , you have no other problem to worry ofdeep life is a good life- even if you dont like.
Here’s a worst Idea From A Multi Billion Dollor Company, From The Women I Admire the Most -Marissa Mayer(co-founder of Lumi Labs. Mayer formerly served as the president and chief executive officer of Yahoo)- banning work at home – just so that they didnt check email and not physically present in the office . turns out this idea to be a worst idea from her
What Human Craves For The Most – According to 2015 Research
- This are The Exact Things You need to cut off to get into deep work life, Remember – Focus is the key. So Yeah tough Things To Cut-off Right, but that’s how you progress
bill gates think week -So Bill Gates Had This Idea where he use to spend a day in every week. without technology. he takes notes on the whatever idea comes to his mind, later he filters it based on what he wants – he called it Think Week.And also he use to carry a note always with him. remember the physical notes works better than the digital notes.avoid distraction take notes and start thinking for better ideas
Click Bait Contentall thise huffpost article and reddit, twitter and also the TV Series. which you think you gain a lot from these platform is a myth, instead it drains your energy. it make you tiresome after your work because it is designed and functioned for that with clickbait content
jerry seinfeld (Known for His Most Poupular sitcom – Seinfeld)-when jerry sienfield Was Asked for his key to his succesfull writing in comedy- keep doing it everyday – Write Jokes everyday – so that you get better at it, Key is the continuity.so to be a deep worker- is practice it everyday
Here’s my key take away’s
- limit whatsaap mail only twice a day(couldn’t go cold turkey on this even if i want to also mute all non important contacts in whatssap to not wave notification pop ups(so that i can only focus on important)
- practice waking up early everyday and start your work everyday – and start my office work first thing in the morning (only the main priority ones)
- whenever you have a free time- get to your deep work- so that you dont look tired
- take smal break- but dont listen to music – dont lose the track plan priorly for your deep work, make time for it priority
- don’t wait for motivation or inspiration, just go on and do your thing
- find your ritual which works for you- its hard to find, but it will be higly rewarded later on.ex- whats right time to eat, and taking walk to get idea
- take rest- exercise, walking, see sunset , or may be cycling,to rest from deep work this will improve concentration(remember no complicated hobbies- like screen, or heavy traffic
- Main catch- good mode – hobbies no music in the morning if you think you cant quit(i prefer to quit Music soon)
- never multitask-. focus on one thing (ex- music while working)
- go digital detox – 1 day a week without technology(may be i could go for books and hobbies on that today)
- work with countdown timer, no email no coffee, no phone in the morning,be close to deadine.
- get into meditation- more focus at work . this will get to deep work closermorning ritual is most important- get half of your most office work done in the morning
- quit whatssap . this is place where others brag about their life. i dont want to be in this place
plan what do you want, or is this social media platform helpful to build professional life, if it help in my personal life – measure to what extent it might help.if the result is not satisfying drop the idea.
Case Study -basecamp empoyee works for 4 days a week, making optimum use of thier time, this was the best idea adopted by the ceo
How To Send An Email
explain in email what you want and how much soution you have and if you are asking a favor – find thier best free time ans ask for thier 15 minstip- valuing other persons time is key
Final Take Aways
when you work- work hardwhen you are done – you are done
to leave the distracted masses and joining focused few. is trans-formative experience deep work is way more powerful
Also published on Medium.